Saturday, June 28, 2008

Lucky me!



Not only is today my oldest daughter's birthday, I can look back over the ten years we've spent raising her and know I wouldn't change a thing. From the time she initiated her Daddy into fatherhood by shooting hot yellow mustard all over his face and white Calvin Klein sleepshirt, his patient understanding of my wish to get a camera (now I have two!), as he blindly felt his way to the shower in St. John's Block...great beginnings don't always ensure a great ending.

All of the in-between parts take work, and they take sacrifice. You can look as far ahead as you like, envisioning the best dreamworld possible. It's the focusing on the dream everyday though, that tests your mettle and produces results. I'm not bragging, okay maybe I am. And when you see what I found at TJ Maxx yesterday, I'm totally bragging.

But this is about my daughter, who has enriched my life more than I ever knew could be possible. All you parents out there know exactly what I'm talking about, life just isn't the same once you discover the reason for living. Great friends are only second to a satisfying family life. As luck would have it, and as an old friend did say, one of the best ways to meet people is through the action of family.

Actually, he said it was through your children, I'm just taking it one step further. If it weren't for Jackie and her fine art classes, we would never have known Caprice who lives two blocks away. And speaking of making this girl's dreams come true, I've been admiring her gardening since the moment I saw her flowers!


How many species can a homeschooled child ponder?!!

But quickly, TJ Maxx...and then off to a movie (thanks dollar theater, thanks Nim's island). Can you believe I found this watch, it's identical to my husband's. Love the domed glass, don't you?

But this bag, so unexpected! Lacoste at TJ Maxx, doesn't it look high-end? As beautiful as my navy-rimmed Vera Wang stationery ($7.99!) CK says I should bring it on the yacht, which of course we don't have (it's so expensive!) And I asked, when you say "yacht" is it the bag itself that brings yachts to mind...or do you actually envision us on one?

It was the latter. Eerie!

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Hi, Jessica,

So fun to find and peruse your blog!

Jackie U.