Saturday, June 7, 2008

My daughter is a Summer Camp dropout

…again this year. Last year it was understandable, she was only 5 and I’d lied about her birthdate in order to get her in her brother and sister’s camp. I guess those counselors divide them by age groups for a reason.

After the first week she’d had enough of putting her head down until everybody could be quiet. And the big kids kept throwing their lunch bags around (with food in them!)

So this year, proudly 6, she volunteered to join in again. I was hesitant…the Park Board only charges $45 for two months of summer (we were early birds, for the rest of you it’s $50). The Y charges $100 a week, but they do throw adventures, of the most magnificent kind I might add. If only I had $1000 to throw back at them, per child! I guess I could gamble $45 to give Taylor the chance to enjoy it.

Taylor officially dropped out yesterday, or so I’d thought. It’s the first week I figured, give the teachers some time to sort out the dysfunction. When Cole told me about the Q-U-I-E- (don’t make me say T, or you’re losing a field trip) game…I felt so much better. The chaos we were seeing (they could write their own stories) made me wish for the teachers we had last year. I guess all parents feel the same (I do have an article with that very suggestion, but it‘s not written yet).

Last night I explained to her exactly the problem. You hate having to deal with the other kids’ misbehavior. I’m not prejudiced, but I care still. They’re from the public schools honey, you’re not used to that fact. Not bad kids (just not like you, sorry), they’ve got things to learn still. And the teachers, they’re doing the best jobs they can. It’ll be rough for the first week, but they’ll discover their style (hopefully it’s not Crocs, though I do love their leather!)

If you don’t want to put up with it, I don’t blame you. “We’re spoiled,” I told her, “all our activities are with homeschoolers.” Tears drying slightly, she asked, “well, can we just go to a camp with all homeschoolers?” Not in this town sweetie, not yet, and I don’t care if not ever (we all need a break sometimes.)

Today we were going to skip camp anyway. What with Hannah’s little play, and my need to sell some buffalos…plus Daddy has lots of work to do, and we're going with him.

I grabbed extra water bottles just in case.

No comments: