Friday, October 17, 2008

A positive representation of homeschooling should be every study-at-home enthusiast's goal.

Afterall, what might the neighbors think? I prefer it more simple, an honest admission of the ups-and-downs, confidence gained step-by-step, the learning process often composed of struggle, then revelation. And I'm just talking about the parents so far, we teachers in training.

Were we spoon-fed, some institution's packaged jargon, a curriculum (everyone's using one) to tweak to our classroom's own style, I can't imagine we'd ever be unhappier. Any teachers out there daring to call your system unsatisfactory? Dare to dream an improvement, and then say it out loud? Didn't think so.

But all alone here ('cept for Jackie, who's always welcome), I can say what I want, feel how I think. Let the critics fill in their details with false assumptions, keeping distance between us, it's their habits, not ours. Everyone who knows me, knows me well, I don't spend life hiding, fruitlessly hoping from afar.

So, that said, moving forward (or back) into an unwavering faith in humanity's destination. We're all going somewhere, right? Our family, for instance, in between reading and writing (a certain son ready to give his more trying), and obvious math, and other things unexciting...we are studying the human body.

No, not sociologically, or even theologically, both bodies bearing weight, but currently it's physiology. Beginning with cells, where else? Drawing pictures, comparing systems...in spite of, or inspired by, the upcoming fair this spring (it's all science-y).

Nobody wants to be doctors, they've said. One fashionista, one scientista, and two business owners who want to work for themselves. Oh well, passion's unpredictable, it's the foundation I'll build that will sort this stuff out.

Biology 4 Kids, a homeschooling mom's saving grace, teachers sharing lesson plans (freely, no strings-attachedly), and my new personal favorite, though I admit I'm just exploring, philosophy of math (because EVERYTHING is philosophy, even numbers). I know, I'm aghast!

No comments: