Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Diabetes Camp

Came out of nowhere, early rising for an hour-and-a-half drive to test out the possibility of making lifelong friends for my daughter. She'll go every year starting age nine (she's only seven). Just like the trip to Minneapolis which will last about five days (or six), we leave tomorrow. It came out of nowhere I was saying.

Gonna be fun, the trip (and the camp), lots of good shopping. So far Williams Sonoma, Crate & Barrel, Build-a-bear, and IKEA will totally have to happen. And the zoo, and perhaps a museum. Camp though, kind of rustic, fairly wholesome considering all the age groups, musty bunkers (ew!), decent and almost delicious food that is portion-sized.

Everything about that camp wins me over, let's be honest. The counselors were all ex-campers, so many "my-whole-lifers", and the medical care...few camps are devoted first and foremost to health. Camp Sioux is. Comraderie all came from a shared hardship to deal with, applause was won for trying new injection sites, for being the first sixteen-year-old dude to try on an insulin pump (he chose pink, his favorite color).

She'll be going, of course. And of course I pondered the whole time how I could let it happen, her independence I mean, yup, she must go. Looking forward.

No comments: