Thursday, January 1, 2009

Me no wear no slings

That's Dylan talk for...why do I need a sling, my hips rotate just fine. Perhaps it's my rebel spirit, and my tendency to be cautious of the bandwagons I hitch a ride on. But no matter how many fabulous fabrics your slings come in, or how dire your need to make income on etsy, I laugh as you gals try to wrangle those contraptions on.

Yes, I've heard all the pro-snuggling arguments in existence, and I'm not withholding hugs or bedtime stories, in case that's what you're assuming. No, I simply feel I'm strengthening my core and restoring some semblance of balance when I secure my babies to my hip, old-fashioned.

Some days left, other days right, it doesn't really matter. But as I reach with an arm-and-a-half, 'cause that's what I'm left with, I still manage to run a large household and get all my work done. Well, at least the stuff I'm not subconsciously avoiding.

Leaving me only to wonder, "What does Daphne think?"

10 comments:

Melissa said...

Came over from SITS...Happy new year!!!

priscilla said...

Not being a mother myself, I wonder about the whole sling issue. One of my sisters loves using them to have both arms in use, and the other has guns of steel from carrying her toddler around. I think I could use a bit of the latter.

Nicole O'Dell said...

Your blog is super cute! I like your style!

Thanks for visiting my blog.

The Blonde Duck said...

I've never tried a sling yet. Maybe I could put my Chihuahuas in one.

Jen Sue Wild said...

Happy new yaer !!
Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

Pat said...

a Sling!!! man that is a good idea.. why did I not think of that before.. I must get one of those.

Abby said...

I have a Hotsling, and really liked it when Baby B was under 15 lbs to tote him around in - which lasted all of two months. Supposedly, mine's good until he's like 2, but I can't seem to figure it out despite the detailed DVD they sent. So, like you, he's a hipster, though my husband really enjoys the manpouch (i.e. Baby Bjorn).

Mindy said...

I just found my understated, elegant black sling... and am sending it to my SIL.

*smiles sweetly*

The Muse said...

old days, no so such contraption...just hip action! LOL

no wait, didn't the indians use them? well i don't go that far back lol

Anonymous said...

I have a Bjorn and I love it. My boy loves to be held which leaves me NO TIME to do anything. I strap him in the Bjorn and lo and behold I can get something done. Oh...and shopping...I must have the Bjorn. He hates his infant seat, so I can leave him in that at all.

Of course, before he was born, I was not into the whole sling thing. I thought it was a cold way to hold your baby. But now...I couldn't live without that thing.