Tuesday, June 16, 2009

There's no competition

My husband doesn't like when I point this out in public, but it was he who taught me how to be the perfect match. Most men, perhaps it comes down to poor communication, or bad manners, but they think nothing of trashing their significant other. It's like it's somehow normal, or helps with male bonding to say, "my wife's a bitch, yeah, she's such a nag".

And maybe she is, I haven't met her yet. He's always had this habit though, I can't personally take the credit. He lifts his spouse up to the highest level in front of everyone. For all anyone knows, I'm perfect, a saint. His life would be incomplete without me, he's the luckiest man on the planet. He tells that to everybody, and it used to make me embarassed.

Be real, I'd say back at the beginning of our relationship. What about the rest? What do you mean, he'd suggest. Well, like, sometimes we fight, and you make it seem like I'm perfect. What are you looking at, how can you even say that, he'd ask.

He doesn't wear rose-colored glasses, he's a perfectly critical thinker, but he does know a thing or two about respect. For example, not a day goes by where I'd ever consider that I come second. Not that I'd ever allow that. On his own though, it's not complicated, it's just how our love is.

It's ME, who's the luckiest girl on the planet.

2 comments:

priscilla said...

beautiful.

Maria@Conversations with Moms said...

That is so beautiful. Your husband sounds like an amazing husband. Now let me call my husband over to read this post. :)